The Workout



For the love of what I do
For the cardiologist in me 
To practice what I preach
To inspire myself and for trying to inspire you 
I workout

When I feel low, down and knocked out
To fight my inner demons and negative vibes
To handle stress better
To moan, groan, express myself and vent my frustrations
For the high I get after
I workout

To pursue my passions, my goals, my aspirations
To feed my ego and boost my confidence
To look and feel my best
To be a responsible citizen 
To appreciate and be thankful that I can
I workout

For the love of eating
For my daily fix, my daily high
To protect against the ravages of time and disease
To be able to make this pitch to you
I workout

To caress my aching body and soothe my tired mind
To cleanse my soul and rejuvenate my spirits and spirituality
Some days intense, some days just easy, some days dragging myself
I workout

And one day die I will, die I shall, but before my time is up, to live every day to its maximum
I workout


                                     by Arif Ahmad

Copyright 2012  The Optimist


Popular posts from this blog

"A novice poet delivers intriguing meditations on culture, politics, and humanity." Kirkus Reviews